Updated 9/14/2023. The Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara viewpoint is located next to the Elevador da Glória in Bairro Alto. The scenic viewpoint offers great views of the city. It is one of the Lisbon’s most romantic spots, and at times, it is the site of a great party.
Built in 1864, the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara viewpoint is a gateway to the Príncipe Real neighborhood and its fantastic nightlife.
The viewpoint is named after São Pedro de Alcântara, who was king of Portugal (Dom Pedro IV) and first Emperor of Brazil (1822-1831).
What to see at the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara Viewpoint
From the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara viewpoint, you have views of Castelo São Jorge, Avenida da Liberdade, and most of downtown Lisbon.
The São Pedro de Alcântara scenic viewpoint can be one of the most romantic spots in Lisbon.
There are two terraces connected by stairs, one upper and one lower.
During the month of June, it becomes host to a month-long block party, with both locals and tourists enjoying food, drinks, and music every night.
In the park there is a monument to journalist Eduardo Coelho, who founded the Diário de Notícias newspaper. There are also sculptures of Greek gods and goddesses, as well as a beautiful fountain.
There is also a telescope on the upper terrace, as well as a tile panel that depicts the city below, created by Swiss artist Fred Kradolfer (1903-1968) that has been in place since 1952.
The lower terrace has a rose garden and benches for couples to enjoy.
When is São Pedro de Alcântara open?
São Pedro de Alcântara is open 24 hours a day. The belvedere is free to the public.
How to visit the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara?
Address: Rua de São Pedro de Alcântara
GPS: Coordinates: 38.71546039070183, -9.144181531077209
Take the Elevador da Glória up to the Miradouro. Turn right when you get off of the Elevador. For more information on the Elevador da Glória, see my article, How to get to Bairro Alto? (Hint: Take the Glória Funicular)
You could also walk up the hill if you enjoy a hike.
What else is near Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara scenic viewpoint?
- Jardim do Príncipe Real One of Lisbon’s nicest little parks. This is a perfect place to spend and afternoon. Jardim do Príncipe Real – one of Lisbon’s most beautiful parks
- Bairro Alto One of the top neighborhoods for nightlife in Lisbon. Bairro Alto – An overview of Lisbon’s most vibrant neighborhood
- Igreja de São Roque Possibly one of the most opulent churches in the world is hidden within a plain exterior. São Roque Church in Lisbon – What to know before visiting
- Largo do Chiado Square If you go downhill, south, toward the river, you will eventually find the lively Largo do Chiado square with its street musicians and cafes.
- Convento do Carmo Ruins This church is a monument to the destruction of the 1755 earthquake and one of Lisbon’s most memorable sites. Lisbon’s Convento do Carmo Ruins | Everything You Need to Know
- Insolito Rooftop Bar (Official site: https://theinsolito.pt/?lang=en ). Located across the street from the scenic viewpoint, this great rooftop bar has almost the same views, but from an even higher vantage point. To learn more about Lisbon’s rooftop terraces, see my article Best rooftop bars in Lisbon
Know that I am not affiliated with any businesses mentioned in this article.
There are so many fantastic scenic viewpoints in Lisbon. Find more of them here, Lisbon’s Best Miradouros and Scenic Viewpoints – A visitor’s guide Thanks for reading about the São Pedro de Alcântara viewpoint!